...we loved baking Biscotti this week even in this heat....its fun and easy to make, can be stored in an air-tight tin and used as pudding with a coffee or as a mid-morning snack
Biscotti means bread baked twice! You have to cook it once then cut it into slices and bake again!
Its great fun to make and easy too! Make the enriched dough and add the flavouring.
To make 20 biscuits -
250g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp baking powder
250g caster sugar
2 medium eggs, beaten
75g roughly chopped hazelnuts
100g chocolate chips
1 large orange - zest and juice
Additional egg yolk – to glaze
Other Flavours: Crystallised Ginger & Pistachio White Chocolate & Cranberries Cranberries & Orange zest – Christmas theme! Cherries & Lemon Almonds (and Chocolate) Fig & Walnut Lime & Pistachio
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan and line a large baking tray with baking parchment.
2. Mix together the flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl and add the 2 eggs slowly to make a dough. Mix in the hazelnuts, chocolate chips, orange zest and juice.
3. On a lightly floured surface, knead the mixture gently and divide into 2. Don’t worry if the dough is a little sticky! Roll into logs, each approximately 25cm long, 3cm thickness and place on the lined baking tray.
4. Take the extra egg yolk and whisk and glaze the two logs. Put into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden. It should feel like a spongy cake when you press down gently.
5. Remove from the oven, leave to cool slightly, then cut each log into 1cm thick slices. Lay the slices on the baking tray.
6. Reduce the oven temperature to 180/160c Fan and return to the oven. Bake for another 5-7 minutes, turn over and continue to bake for another 5-7 minutes until golden-brown.
7. Enjoy dunking!