Italian menus are the most popular food choices for our Mix & Munch cooks. And whilst we cannot take alcohol into schools and adding coffee to puddings for children is not always advised, this alternative works really well to compliment a heavy pasta or pizza main.
Its a simple, tasty and refreshing pudding - perfect after a heavy Christmas meal when you want something sweet, fruity and light. It can be made before hand and is kid friendly too!
What does tiramisu mean ? In Italian: tiramisù is from tirami su, "pick me up" or "cheer me up"!
What other flavours could you make ? Raspberry & Chocolate, Strawberries & Lemon, Cherry & Vanilla, Blueberry & Lemon, Blueberry & Mango cream, Mint Chocolate with Raspberries......
Makes 1 portion (in a ramekin)
3 Sponge Fingers
15g of fresh raspberries (or thawed frozen raspberries)
Raspberry juice 2 tbsp (or juice of alternative fruit such as pomegranate/Cranberry)
½ Lemon –zest and juice
1 tbsp of mascarpone cheese
2 tbsp crème fraiche
½ tbsp icing sugar (sieved)
Milk chocolate (grated)/sprinkles/gold spray
1. Get two bowls - in one bowl mix together the crushed sponge fingers, juice and raspberries
2. In a separate bowl Mix the lemon zest and juice with the mascarpone, crème fraiche and icing sugar.
4. Take the ramekin and spread half of the sponge and raspberry mixture on the bottom
5. Then half of the cream mixture as a layer.
6. Repeat both (4) and (5) so that all the mixture is used up and you have 4 layers.
7. Decorate with grated chocolate/sprinkles/edible gold spray