...I finally made these the other week after a few years of having one of those specific Madeleine tins and having been prompted to as whilst on holiday I was offered one each morning for breakfast. How could I resist ? After-all each Madeleine is only one dessert spoon of mixture!
Savoury or Sweet ? Once you make the rich buttery batter for a Madeleine you can add any flavour...Raspberry & Lime, Lemon & Poppy Seeds, Lemon & Vanilla, Orange Zest & Chocolate Chips, Strawberry & White Chocolate, Cardamom & Nutmeg and can dip the ends (once cooled) in melted white/milk or dark chocolate...and cover with sprinkles/freeze dried raspberries/edible gold spray/ground pistachios or almonds or hazelnuts...the list is unending!
To get the most out of the batter you need to allow it to rest for around 30 minutes apart from that - they are very quick to make....
To make 18 Madeleines
Basic Batter Mix:
100g caster sugar
3 medium eggs
90g unsalted butter (melted) plus extra to grease the moulds
100g plain flour (sieved) plus a little extra for the moulds
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp honey
1. Combine the sugar and eggs in a large bowl and whisk until light and fluffy
2. Add the cooled melted butter, plain flour, baking powder, pinch of salt and honey.
3. Mix into a batter and let it rest for 30 minutes.
4. Grease your Madeleine moulds with some of the extra melted butter and dust slightly with the extra flour.
5. Spoon only 1 dessert spoon into the moulds.
6. Bake at 180 degrees non fan for 10-12 minutes until risen and golden.
Mocha - Add 15g of sieved cocoa and 1 tbsp of diluted instant coffee to the batter mixture
Lemon & Poppy Seeds - Add 2 tsp of poppy seeds and the juice and zest of 3 lemons to the batter mixture
Lime & Blackberry/Raspberry/Strawberry - Add the juice and zest of 2 limes to the batter mixture and put a Blackberry/Raspberry/Strawberry into each of Madeleine moulds after the batter has been added
Honey & Vanilla - Add an additional 1 tbsp of runny honey and 1 tbsp of vanilla extract to the batter mixture
Pistachio & Orange - Add 50g of crushed pistachios & the zest of 2 oranges & 1 tbsp of orange blossom water to the batter mixture