...with Veganuary well and truly with us and after Christmas indulgences we are all ready to tuck into some tasty, spicy veggie dishes.
We were given this whilst visiting family who tried it during Veganuary last year and some of us didn't realise it was veggie! You can make a big pot to last a few meals, you can freeze it and its easy on the budget.
Eat it with wholemeal rice & Greek plain yoghurt with a green salad or put into tortilla wraps (wholemeal) with sour cream, salsa and guacamole with melted cheese. Or with tortilla chips....
I love adding coffee into chilli it gives the dish a new depth of flavour - and there's not a carrot in sight!
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions (diced)
1 tbsp fajita seasoning
4 cloves garlic (crushed)
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 x 400g kidney beans
1 x 400g black beans
1 x 250g pouch of pre-cooked lentils
1 x 400g chopped tomatoes
1 green chilli chopped
1 tbsp instant coffee
1 tbsp instant yeast
1 tbsp brown sugar
200ml boiling water
1 tsp salt & ground pepper
Coriander to serve
1. Heat oil and add the chopped onion
2. Add the fajita seasoning and coat the onions and fry on a medium heat for a few minutes
3. Add the garlic, cinnamon & paprika– stir thoroughly
4. Add the beans, lentils and chilli, coffee, yeast and sugar
5. Add the hot water and season well
6. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20-25 minutes
7. Serve with plain yoghurt, rice & sprinkled with coriander
According to a study by Oxford University if we all were to switch to diets that rely less on meat and more on fruit & vegetables greenhouse gases could be cut by two thirds!
Loving Black Beans - they can be added to anything....for nutrition for flavour and for budgets...spaghetti bolognaise/curry/cottage or shepherds pie/stews...